Bookmark and Share

Jermain Taylor elects to withdraw from Super Six Tournament

Ladies and gentlemen, it has been a while since I posted anything on this website.  Happy New Year. The holiday season was wonderful, but now it's back to the business of the boxing.  Former middleweight champion Jermain Taylor has announced that he is withdrawing from Showtime's Super Six Tournament. 

-----

Press Release: Jermain Taylor (28-4-1, 17 KOs) has made a decision regarding his future boxing career. Taylor, who was a participant in Showtime's Sports World Boxing Classic last fought on October 17th in a losing battle against Arthur Abraham in Berlin, Germany. "I'm going to take some time off from the sport of boxing and take myself out of Showtime Sports World Boxing Classic tournament. It's important that I give my body and mind some much needed rest, because I have been boxing for nearly 20 years," said Taylor. "I plan on keeping myself in shape and making a return to the sport sometime in the future. This was not an easy decision for me, having discuss it with my family, trainer, friends and my adviser Al Haymon, because I'm a very competitive person-but I know this is the smart road for me to take. I want to thank Showtime Sports for everything and I wish the best for my 5 counterparts who will continue on in the Super Six tournament. Most of all, I want to thank the many fans for their continued support."

-----

Yours truly believes that is a wise decision on Mr. Taylor's behalf. Following his devastating 12th round knockout loss at the hands of former IBF middleweight champion Arthur Abraham this past October, Taylor would be well advised to retire from the sport of boxing rather than simply taking a break.

0 comments: