Bookmark and Share

Post fight reaction: Lamon Brewster!

By Knockout Publicity - "Relentless" Lamon Brewster, 33-4 (29 KO), is currently at home in Indiana resting up following his unsuccessful attempt to repeat his knockout ways over IBF Heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko. For the first time, he speaks on trainer Buddy McGirt's decision to stop the fight in the sixth round and his future plans.

"I didn't think that being off for 15 months would affect me," says Brewster. "The first time I fought him, I was off for 13 months. The difference is that last time I was in the gym training. Coming off of the eye injury, it was difficult because I couldn't train. I was rusty, even though I had a good training camp..

"Of the decision to stop the fight, Brewster says, "I did the best I could. I realized that it's better to live to fight another day. Buddy made the decision to stop the fight. I was saddened by it, but what could I do?"

Even while fighting in his opponent's hometown, Brewster didn't feel he'd be at too big a disadvantage. There were some quirks here and there, however. "The fans were cool with me up until the fight. I expected to hear some boos from the Klitschko fans in Germany. The worst thing was when the fans were throwing trash at me as I was leaving. That was uncalled for."

Brewster suffered a much-publicized eye injury during his previous bout with Sergei Lyakhovich, a detached retina that required three surgeries to repair. The injury didn't play a significant role in the fight.

"I didn't feel bothered by it. Naturally I thought about it when I was getting hit with the jabs. I didn't want to mess around and re-injure the eye."

Lamon didn't note any improvements in Wladimir's skill level, but does feel that "he fought a better strategy" this time around.

Ever the sportsman, Lamon gives all the credit to Wladimir Klitschko for his victorious performance. "I rank him number one in the division. Until I can prove once again that I'm number one, he is the top heavyweight."

"I think Klitschko should get the recognition he deserves. After the first time we fought, everyone was saying that he was a bum. He's not a bum, I was just the better man that night. People say he had a weak chin because he got knocked out by Corrie Sanders, but Sanders is a big puncher.

"Lamon plans to return to the ring in three months for a tune-up bout to shake off the ring rust, followed by one more fight. After that, he wants a rubber match to settle the score with Wladimir. "This time next year, since we're tied 1-1, let's do this again to settle the score.

"In a third fight, Brewster says he'd apply more pressure to force Klitschko to fight more than he did Saturday night.

To the detractors, Brewster implores them to stay tuned.

"Keep watching. You can think I'm washed up if you want to. Look at Wladimir, what did they say about him when he got stopped? It doesn't mean I'm washed up. It was his night, God Bless him. But I'll see you again."

As for his fans and supporters, Brewster assures the best is yet to come.

"I would like to apologize to anyone who had faith in me and supported me. I was mentally and spiritually ready for this fight. I can understand if you're mad at me, but give me a chance to prove myself again. I will be back with a vengeance."

0 comments: